As this Canada Day dawns, we remember why Canada is one of the best nations in the world…
1. Wayne Gretzky. Where would hockey be without him?
2. Our rainbow-colored paper currency. From blue to purple to red, soon there will be a bill for every hue.
3. Milk in bags. Forget jugs or bottles of milk.
4. Jim Carrey. John Candy. Tommy Chong. And those are only the comedians with C names from Canada.
5. Roberta Bondar. The first Canadian woman in space and the first neurologist.
6. Simon Fraser. Exploring, fending off 1800s wilderness, and having a river and university named after you? Check.
7. Canadian bacon. It’s not just a movie… our Bacon is also Awesome…
8. The Dempster Highway. 475 miles of former sled dog trail. Through the Arctic Circle. Only people with stout vehicles, spare gas cans and tires, and the ability to change a flat tire need apply.
9. The Toronto Blue Jays. Without you, the “World” Series would have been renamed the “American” Series.
10. Athabasca Sand Dunes. The park’s website states “recommended for experienced wilderness users only”.
11. The maple leaf. We stamp the leaf on everything.
12. Ellesmere Island. More polar bears than people make their homes here.
13. Eh. Our most versatile word.
14. Trivial Pursuit. Educating the world on little known facts since 1982.
15. Tim Hortons. Coffee. Donuts. Always fresh.
16. Maple syrup. No one eats plain pancakes after all.
17. The Carmanah Giant. 314 feet tall. 31 feet in diameter.
18. Cindy Klassen and Clara Hughes. Six Olympic medals apiece.
19. The Canadian Shield. Offering mineral goodness since time began.
20. Canada Dry Ginger Ale. Real ginger in a bottle since 1904.
21. Anne of Green Gables. Our favorite precocious red head.
22. Niagara Falls. The most powerful waterfall in North America.
23. William Shatner. “Beam me up, Scotty!”
24. Lake of the Woods. 65,000 miles of shoreline and over 14,542 islands.
25. Frank Gehry. Building in shapes we never knew existed.
26. Joni Mitchell. Our prairie songstress.
27. McIntosh apples. Straight from Dundela, Ontario.
28. Tilley Endurables. The finest travelwear anywhere.
29. Canola. Adding a healthy cooking ingredient to our recipes.
30. Hudson’s Bay Company. The oldest corporation in North America.
31. The Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Law enforcement with style!
32. Celine Dion. Our hearts will go on, Celine.
33. The White Spot. Triple O deliciousness.
34. Norman Bethune. Saving lives across the world.
35. Mike Holmes. Rescuing homeowners from their homes.
36. Shania Twain. Country? Pop? Both!
37. The beaver. oooh yeah our beaver